Why do we rotate partners?
It is the custom in Swing Dance circles to “rotate partners” during the lesson. The Top Ten Reasons for rotating partners:
- It keeps married couples or dating couples from killing each other!
- It helps us remember the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Rotating allows us to operate our dances with the ‘no partner needed’ condition. Thus we can include everyone.
- You may be the one to help that guy or girl who ‘just doesn’t get it.’
- You’ll never be stuck with that guy or girl who ‘just doesn’t get it’ for more than a few minutes.
- That new partner may be just the one to figure out how to make sure you get it!
- It is a proven fact that you will learn faster when you are not clinging to the safety of being able to blame your regular partner or a friend!
- It keeps the instructors on their toes.
- It gives opportunity for you to practice your new skills with many people - something very necessary for social dancing.
- It gives a good opportunity for everyone to introduce themselves and become acquainted, fueling our wonderful warm and friendly atmosphere.