forum | Bringing Beginners?

Bringing Beginners? 
Posted: 10 April 2009 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-10

I grew up in the Lancaster area but I started swing while at university in Texas so I’m only used the scene down there (mostly in the DFW area.) However when I come home I want to introduce my friends from high school to swing. Most of them have never danced beyond an awkward single-footed east coast that we learned in high school phys ed. Some have been going to the swing clubs at their universities but seeing the state of the swing society at the colleges down here, I don’t have much faith.
So I have a few questions…

How welcoming are the dancers? I know experienced dancers like to pick their favorites among themselves, etc. but how willing are they to occasionally dance with raw beginners? (except for myself and perhaps one of the leads I don’t believe any know Lindy or Charleston, or even really East Coast)
On that note, how experienced are the dancers? And how prevalent is experience in Lindy (at least among the leads)?
Also, I’ve been looking at the pictures and have been trying to get a grasp on how formal/casual the dances are. I’m assuming it is very casual (jeans for ladies)? How much would someone stick out if they were slightly retro, or even wore a casual skirt?
And the beginner lesson at the beginning, would I be correct assume it just teaches basic east coast and arch turns?
Am I correct to assume that Tuesdays would be the best time to bring them down and that it either night is very follow heavy?

Thanks!

Oh, and on another note, did anyone from the Club come down to LindyFest last month?

Posted: 13 April 2009 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2008-03-04

GreenePony -
Thanks for your post!  Exciting to hear you’re planning on coming to check us out.  I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised! 

Our organization is great to bring friends out too.  We’ve got a super welcoming crowd.  Our dances always begin with beginner lessons to help get new folks warmed up.  After that, you’ll find that our dancers are always excited to get new folks involved.  The groups experience level ranges… we have lindy hoppers who’ve been in the dance scene for 10+ years.  We have college clubs who’ve had 1-4 years of lindy hop.  We’ve got folks new to lindy, and folks new to east coast.  And all levels in between!  Our vast differences make us very open to new dancers joining in.  Lindy is around in the scene, though you’ll find it’s a 50-50% split with east coast and other dances.  Leaders and followers are both leaders and followers in our scene (we’ve got a lot of crossover dancers), so there’s never a shortage of either.

In regards to our attire, we recommend comfort over formality.  Our dance floor is often crowded on Saturdays with 100+ dancers.  So heat is a factor.  In addition, it’s a good idea not to wear heels when the floor is that crowded, lest you impale someone’s foot.  On Tuesday’s, the floor is a little more open, but you’ll still find most (80%) of our folks in jeans and t-shirts.  If you’re folks want to dress up or be retro, feel free.  We don’t have a dress code, and everyone is accepted as is.  We do have a few special dances a year where we suggest dressing up (our 50s dance is coming up next month).  Another couple tips - we don’t allow flip flops on the dance floor, and we also prohibit all aerials and drops unless you are performing and the dance floor is empty.

You asked two more questions… I’m trying to answer them all!  Tuesdays and Saturdays are about the same in lead/follow ratio.  Saturdays are a bit more crowded though.  I’d try out both if I were you.  They both have benefits…

And finally, no one from our group made it down to LindyFest so far as I know.  I was the main distance traveller… and since I just got married, I haven’t been travelling cross-country as much. 
Can’t wait to meet you!!!
Amanda

Posted: 14 April 2009 11:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2009-04-10

Thanks for all the thorough answers!
I have been talking to the group and we’ll probably be down a Tuesday to start towards late May when I get back from TX (everyone’s very excited for the trip, they keep hearing how much I love it and they want to get started.) Though I can almost guarantee I’ll be around several times this summer- as my work/rehearsal/performance/show/volunteering schedules allow, of course.

It’s a relief to hear about the lifts and aerials, it’s a comfort after seeing a rather scary video of what the Baylor swing society used to produce a few years back when aerials were the focus (thankfully, they’ve improved a lot since then, ironically the lead in it is the only man I allow to do even the most basic lifts with me.)

Thanks again!

‹‹ Miss You Guys!      summer dancing? ››